Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Eat in season: What veggies are at their best in Fall and Winter

For those readers out there who are like me, vibrantly colored fresh veggies inspire you to be creative in the kitchen.  If not, that's okay too...I'll get you there.  I've loved veggies since I was a kid.  My mom used to pack me a tupperware container of carrots and cucumbers to take to school on a regular basis.  On weekends, I would take a break from my late night barbie play and sneak to the kitchen only to "steal" a few red radishes (which needed to be cleaned, trimmed, and salted no doubt).  

As I've grown older, my palette for veggies has expanded and I've come to appreciate the goodness of veggies as they are in season.  That is not to say that I will not partake in a tomato during the winter, but I now make the best of summer tomatoes more than ever. And, in season veggies tend to be at their best in nutrients and are far cheaper than purchasing when out of season.  

So, as we move into the Holiday season--also known as the "cooking and eating season,"-- I thought I would share a few of my winter faves and the recipes in which I most enjoy them.
What's In Season

Winter Squash (such as Acorn and Butternut)
Dark Greens (Collards, Kale, and Chard)
Citrus (Oranges, Tangerines, and Lemons)
Sweet Potatoes
Mushrooms
Radishes
Cauliflower
Brussell Sprouts
Leeks
Apples, Pears

Oven Roasted Cauliflower

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  On a sheet pan, arrange cauliflower which has been cut in large sections, rinsed, and dried.  Toss with evoo and three tbsp of  honey mustard.  Add sea salt and herb seasoning to taste (this can sit in fridge for a few hours if need be).  Roast cauliflower in oven, tossing as needed, for approximately 30-40 minutes until veggie is lightly golden and tender.

Brussells and Bacon

Starting with about 3-4 lbs of nice sized sprouts, trim and halve each sprout and rinse.  In a hot pan, cook off 3-4 strips of bacon (maple if you have it) and drain on towel.  In the same pan, add about 1/2 cup of fine diced sweet onion.  Saute until they begin to brown and add the sprouts.  Season with your fave stuff and toss.  Allow to cook for about seven minutes until they begin to become tender.  Add about 1/2 cup of stock (homemade) and braise for another five minutes.  Crumble the previously cooked bacon and toss.  Serve hot!  

Oranges

Just peel and eat and get that extra boost of vitamin C!

No comments:

Post a Comment