Monday, December 21, 2009

Start 2010 with New Year's Good Luck Greens

Every January 1st my mother prepares a traditional Southern New Year's dinner: a huge pot of black eyed peas, pig's feet and ears, corn bread, and the traditional good luck collard greens. No amount of hot sauce or yellow mustard could get me to eat the pig and I just can't handle the texture of the peas, but I'd happily take a good helping of the greens. She didn't care if I ate any of the pig, but she was sure that I ate at least a spoon full of the peas and the greens for luck and life.

Now that I am on my own and running my own kitchen, I enjoy preparing fresh collards and other dark leafy greens for friends and family. I fall back on the recipe that she taught me with a few pieces of myself in the mix. Care for a little Southern luck? Make a pot of collards for New Year's Day dinner.

It starts with about 4 to 5 pounds of collard greens. Prepare the greens by removing the stems (reserving three to four stems for later) and tear them into medium pieces. Fill your sink with cold water and soak the greens to remove any grit or sand attached to the leaves. Rinse through a couple of times until there is no sign of grit or sand in the bottom of the sink. Leave in clean cold water until you are ready to add to the pot (the cold water will keep them bright and crisp).

Next, prepare the cooking liquid (also know as pot liquor). In a large pot, brown four slices of bacon (maple bacon is my secret) that have been chopped into pieces. As fat begins to render, add about 1/2 cup of coarse chopped sweet onion and the stems which have been rinsed and coarsely chopped. Add a pinch of sea salt to release the flavor. Allow to saute until onion and stems begin to soften and bacon is cooked through. Add a cup and a half of water and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer for seven to ten minutes. Add a healthy amount of your favorite herb seasoning to the liquid.

Begin to add the greens salting in layers as you go. Put a lid on them and reduce the heat. As the greens wilt, the amount of greens will condense. Continue to stir the greens about every ten minutes until greens become dark and tender. Cooking time will vary. During the last twenty minutes of cooking, add 2 tbsp of sugar.

Serve with sliced tomato and onion with hot sauce and cider vinegar on the side. If you have leftovers, freeze in individual baggies for easy reheat for lunch or dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment